Star Wars: The Force Awakens X-Wing Miniatures Game Core Set Review
This 2 player space battle game pits players against each other as either the Empire or the Rebels. The game features high-speed dogfights between movie accurate miniatures. The Rebel player controls the Alliance’s X-Wing Fighter while the Empire player has 2 TIE Fighters. The rules take minutes to learn and the game provides hours of fun; it is also expandable with future expansions being planned now.
• Recommended Ages = 13 to 15 years old
• Total Pieces = 24
3 Space Ship figures which include:
- 1 X-Wing T-70 model.
- 2 TIE Fighter models.
- Two Sets of Dice for Maneuvering and Attacking
Accessories which include:
- Asteroid markers
- Movement Templates
- Damage Cards
1. Expandable: The game is expandable with other ships and rules available from Fantasy Flight Games. Once purchased any number of ships can be added to make the game as big as you’d like.
2. Easy to Learn: The game takes minutes to learn but hours to master and is beginning to be played competitively around the country.
3. Detailed Instructions: The game comes with a set of instructions to get you up and running. Other expansion packs may add new moves, attacks or tactics but the core rules stay the same once you learn them.
4. Set in the Star Wars Universe: A must have for any fan of the Star Wars films and television shows. The miniatures are modeled to look exactly like their on screen counterparts and the rules follow Star Wars canon as well.
Things To Consider
1. Small Parts: Many of the parts for the game are very small and could present a choking hazard to smaller children.
2. No Game Board: The game board used to play the game is sold separately by Fantasy Flight games and does not come with this set. If purchasing this set as an addition to existing sets it can be played on the default board.
3. You’ll Need More Pieces: This core set will get you started playing but to play the game to its full potential you’ll need to purchase add-on ships and markers. The X-Wing game features many of the ships and tactics from the Star Wars universe, this pack adds the ships from the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens movie to the game.
This Core Set of The Force Awakens X-Wing Game is a great place to begin playing the X-Wing game from Fantasy Flight and would make a great gift for any Star Wars fan. The game is immersive and at times very exciting. It will make you feel as if you are actually piloting the ships and making split second decisions which depend on both skill and luck to pull off. The game is very strategic as well, demanding solid strategy and a bit of luck to make the right moves. While this is a very basic starter set it will get the player involved in the game and is a great starting point for new players. For established players it will bring rules from the new Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens to the X-Wing game.